Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Silent Meditation Retreat - why would I go across the world to sit by myself and not talk for 10 days?!



I guess I should give you a little background on me and what made me want to come half way across the world to go this silent meditation retreat. I guess you could say I am searching for something…inner peace, maybe god, maybe not. Here’s why:

• I talk a mile a minute; I think even faster, I never relax.
• I’m scared of everything - walking in the dark, spiders, murders hiding in my back seat, losing my mind and on and on.
• I have an almost decade long recurring nightmare of people throwing up on me (mostly drunk people, sometimes zombies). It is VERY disturbing.
• I have an uncontrollable desire to be involved in everyone’s business (i.e. I ease drop within a four person radius at all times)
• I am petrified of my parents dying. P-E-T-R-I-F-I-E-D.
• I worry worry worry.
• The second I sit down, I fall asleep and I always wake up rushed and late for something.
• I’m a recovering superstition-a-holic.
• I always feel like I am missing out so I try to do everything.
• I have a hard time forgiving people and I never forget (and I don’t want to be like this).

Nothing paralyzing, but enough to send me searching for some inner peace.

I had done some meditation before. I went to a two day retreat with naked hippies in Big Sur and have spent time at the SF Zen Center with the oh so hip, Malcolm X glasses wearing monks. The Vipassana Center on the hill in Sri Lanka was a world away from these two places.

What you should know about the retreat:
• It was 10 days.
• You couldn’t talk to anyone except the teacher when she checked in with you and you couldn’t look other mediators in the eyes.
• The schedule was 16.5 hours a day and there were only three hour breaks.
• You had to have your eyes shut when you meditated (that’s eyes shut for 13+ hours a DAY?!)
• For three one hour sittings a day you had to sit and couldn’t move, couldn’t straighten your legs, stretch etc. (SOOOO hard!)
• I had my own room (just lucky) but most people were in shared 4-8 people rooms.
• The men and women were divided for meals, housing etc but we all meditated in the same hall, on separate sides.
• Vipassana is based in Buddha’s teachings but people of all religions practice it. It is a meditation technique not a religion.
• Wake up call was 4am and first sitting was 430am.
• There was NO DINNER! Just tea and three cream crackers, or sometimes nilla wafer type cookies. Breakfast was at 630am and lunch was at 11am.
• You couldn’t read or write. (Just you and your brain!)

3 comments:

  1. Wow Heather, this sounds terrifying!! No stretching? No dinner? NO HUGS?!? I can't wait to hear what kind of insight and peace you gained. Love, Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. sissy, your bullet points above may be true and you may feel like you should try to change some of them, but, remember, those characteristics make you HEATHER BOX. i mean, as much as i cant stand when you read my texts, i love it. sometimes you analyze things WAY more than me, but i love it (think bus to Alhambra). the "worry worry worry" and "fear of parents dying" and constant feeling of "missing out" and your need to know everyone's gossip just shows how much you CARE about others. YOU are a pretty special human if you can announce your fears to everyone. people will learn from you h, and they will learn how important it is to just care about the people around you. and i am sure that the shuttle driver and those 50 eyes are still thinking about you....wondering what it would be like to be someone who can go around just telling the world how she feels. love you heather!

    ReplyDelete