Pages

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Two decades later, I finally understand the Japanese tourists in San Francisco







I distinctly remember one summer day in 1989; I was gazing out the back seat window of mom's volvo station wagon on our way home from a day in San Francisco. I was caught in a thought as I watched the world pass us by: What the hell were all the Japanese tourists going to do with the photos they had taken of me that day? I was a tall, really skinny kid with bright white hair. When ever I came to San Francisco and came across a Japanese tour bus hordes of tourists, linked arm in arm, would point, wave shyly and giggle at me then they'd motion to my parents asking if they could snap a picture of me. Sometimes they would get in the photo with me. I didn't mind too much but never understood what they were going to do with the picture. Would they put it in their album, in a frame, were they making fun of me? As soon as I stepped off the plane in Sri Lanka I came full circle and understood them completely. I mean, the little kids are just so freaking cute, I can't help but ask their parents if I can take a photo. The only difference is if their parents are young or the kids are like twelve or above, I say to them with a accent after I take the photo: "Facebook?" If they nod I give them my pen and they write down their email and I post and tag them on Facebook. Sometimes I even friend them on Facebook. Maybe 20 years from now they will still be in touch with the weird tourist lady who was laughing and waving at them...wouldn't that be crazy?

1 comment:

  1. hey weird tourist lady! glad you're having an amazing adventure. keep posting!

    ReplyDelete